Based on knowledge and experiences of WLCG, ASGC has built up distributed computing infrastructure and support large scale data analysis and simulations by DiCOS (Distributed Cloud Operation System, developed based on production WLCG middleware components) for multiple disciplinary sciences in Academia Sinica from 2006, in addition to particle physics experiments such as ATLAS, AMS, TEXONO, and Gravitational Wave etc.
Science is the major driver to advance the DiCOS and distributed computing infrastructure for the data analysis needs of scientific discoveries. Distributed cloud has become the norm of advanced scientific computing infrastructure especially for data-driven applications and for e-infrastructure supporting of multiple disciplinary research applications. Our strategy is to grow the distributed cloud computing technologies and applications progressively through experiences learned from supporting AS research projects as well as technologies developed from the international collaboration projects such as WLCG and EGI.
ASGC has been supporting someinternational collaborations of Academia Sinica to advance fundamental science and at the same time promote the development of forefront technologies that are needed for the basic research.
- Large Hadron Collider (LHC) experiments (ATLAS and CMS) and WLCG Search for the origin of matter
- Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) Search for the origin of anti-matter in the Universe
- Gravitational Wave detection (KAGRA/LIGO/Virgo) Search for the origin of space-time
- TEXONO experiment Search for the origin of left-right asymmetrye
- First principle calculation of strong interaction
- Proton cancer therapy Integrate particle detector technology and advanced analysis for personalized and precision therapy
- Deeper understanding to natural disaster Find out the root cause and drivers of a hazard and reproduce the event by numerical simulation
- xBrain Multi-scale connectome mapping to understand how information flows and is used in the human brain
- CryoEM Determination of biomolecular structures at near-atomic resolution
- Astronomy Simulation of new-born stellar systems
- Soundscape Enhance capacity of ecology and biodiversity monitoring by dynamics of soundscape
- BioSAXS Synchrontron Computing
- Quake Catcher Network (QCN) Earthquake sensor network construction, data management and archive
- Machine learning and AI research and application